Share your memories

Toni Swan (Walkley) 54-57
Administrator
Please share with us all any memories (good or bad) you have of your days at Tech by posting them here or submitting content for the Memories page.
Toni Swan 54-57. Currently living in Auckland, married to Bryan Walkley.

Re: Share your memories

marjorie Lindsay (nee Puddle)
My memories are  from way back in  1947 when Mr Day was the headmaster and Miss Baker,  was in charge of the girls . Marching in line every morning  from the main building  the girls were   fully scrutinised by this austere grey headed woman with the proverbial "bun" hairstyle.  Don,t dare be seen with a stained navy  gymfrock, wearing what she called a "grey"collar,dirty shoes or your hair touching your collar..oh yes chewing gum !!!!  Your tie had to tied correctly and definitely no ladders or ,holes in your long black stocking which were worn year round .  We wore navy brimmed hats with the school badge pinned to it. I can remember vividly how  we kept  the brim,stiff,  by sprinking sugar and pressing it with a hot iron and brown paper  .   Assembly for the school was across the road with the girls in front and boys in the back and of course the inspection by Miss Baker also happened on the return journey .
Miss Methuen took typing and shorthand from memory ..  and of course the typewriter keyboard was covered with a cloth which meant  we learned by touch those days.